I loooove Mexican food. And anyway I can make it a teeny tiny bit healthier, I try. This quinoa recipe is adapted from the back of the target brand quinoa bag. It’s super yummy. You can add grilled shrimp or chicken and make it a whole meal or by itself as a side.
- 1 c. quinoa
- 1 1/2 c. water (or chicken stock)
- 1 can of black beans rinsed and drained
- about 1 c. of corn (I use frozen or leftover fresh grilled corn)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- the juice of half a lime
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro (if you have it, you can leave it out and it’s still good!)
1. Add the quinoa and water to a sauce pan. Add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 14 minutes.
2. After the quinoa has cooked, add all the spices, lime juice, beans, and corn. Remove from heat, cover, and let sit for about 5 minutes to heat corn and beans through.
3. Stir in the chopped cilantro right before serving. YUM!