Say that ten times fast.
This delicious food love child is a result of a carb craving, left over feta, and avocados.
You can add grilled shrimp or chicken to this to make it a little heartier, or even blanched veggies; peas, broccoli, anything really!
You can even go all Greek and add olives!
The avocado in the pesto adds creaminess and the feta adds a nice salty bite. This pasta can be served warm or cold, and is a great meatless dish!
- 1 box of whole wheat pasta (make sure you salt the cooking water!)
- 1 avocado
- 1 c. fresh basil leaves, plus a few extra for garnish
- 1 lemon
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. heavy cream or milk
- 1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 whole tomato, chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 c. feta crumbles
- salt and pepper
1. For the pesto sauce, add the cup of basil leaves, avocado, the juice of half a lemon, and the garlic to a food processor. Process until the mixture is mostly chopped up. Drizzle in the olive oil and cream as you pulse. You want a fairly thick consistency for the pesto.
2. Add the parmesan cheese and pulse a few more times. Taste and add salt and pepper.
3. Chop the tomato and slice the red onions. Add the cooked pasta and avocado pesto. Mix well.
4. Sprinkle the feta cheese, squeeze the other lemon half over the pasta, and tear the extra basil leaves on top for garnish.
5. Season with extra fresh cracked black pepper and a little salt to your liking.