This pasta dish certainly isn’t for the faint of heart.
I have a problem with pasta. The problem being that I love it too much. And this version of carbonara is the bomb.
- 1 lb. whole wheat spaghetti
- 1/2 lb. bacon
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 1 Tbs. half and half
- 1 c. sweet green peas
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Boil the pasta in salted water for about 10 minutes. Add the peas to the cooking pasta when it has about a minute or so left to go.
2. While the pasta is boiling, cook the bacon in a large skillet. Remove to a paper towel to drain.
3. Drain most of the bacon fat from the skillet, add the butter, and cook the minced garlic for about 3 minutes.
4. Add the cooked and drained pasta and peas to the butter and garlic in the skillet. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and half and half together in a separate bowl.
5. Remove the skillet from the heat, add the egg mixture and toss until the eggs are cooked through, making a creamy sauce.
6. Chop the bacon and add it to the skillet.
7. Check for salt and add freshly cracked black pepper and the cheese.
8. Mix well. Serve with more cheese for garnish!
Put on your fat pants for this one.