This yummy grilled chicken
parmesan mozzarella with red onions and peppers hits the spot without ‘puttin an ass on ya‘… because we all know I have enough of that.
Carey and I are always trying to eat a little healthier here and there and this delicious Italian combo did the trick. The only reason I used mozzarella instead of parmesan is because I didn’t have any parmesan. Improvise!
Cut out the pasta and fried chicken cutlets and you have a much healthier version!
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. thyme, rosemary, oregano
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 1-2 c. marinara sauce* (you can use jarred or homemade!)
- fresh mozzarella
- a few fresh basil leaves for garnish
1. Marinate the chicken breasts in 1 Tbs. olive oil and the seasonings. Grill until cooked through and let rest. Slice thin.
2. While the chicken is grilling, slice the onion and red pepper and saute in 1 Tbs. olive oil.
3. After the chicken has been sliced, place it in a shallow dish (safe for the grill, I used a square baking pan). Pour the marinar sauce on top and place the mozzarella on the sauce.
4. Keep in the grill (or oven) until the cheese is melted.
5. Serve the sliced chicken and marinara over the onions and peppers. Garnish with a little chopped fresh basil, then go put on your skinny jeans!
*I rarely use jarred marinara sauce, but I found some at the grocery store that turned out to be deeeee-licious. Its Mario Batali’s brand. It has no preservatives, no added sugar, and it’s organic! I found it at Rouses.