We just got a La Madeline’s in Lafayette. But Baton Rouge (where I’m from) has had one forever. I was so happy when I heard they were coming here!! Yay!
I had forgotten how yummy their tomato basil soup was. So, off to find a copy-cat recipe…and here it is! I found it here, and it’s definitely not for those watching your girlish figures. But let me tell you, it is so so good.
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 4 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 12-14 fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 stick of butter
- salt and pepper
- squeeze of lemon juice
1. Simmer the tomato juice and canned tomatoes for about 30 minutes.
2. Add the basil leaves and either put in your food processor or use an immersion blender like I did.
3. Add the salt, pepper, cream, and butter.
4. Squeeze in a little lemon juice and eat eat eat it with a grilled cheese or just by itself!
Excuse me while I go eat more…