This was the perfect, most delicious, sweet and crunchy breakfast. I used this recipe, but I halved it and did a few tweaks… as always!
- 1/2 loaf french bread, cut into 1 inch slices
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 Tbs. white sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- dash of salt
- 1 stick of butter at room temperature
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 – 1 c. chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- Slice the bread and layer in a buttered 9 inch baking dish, overlapping the bread.
- Mix the eggs, half and half, milk, white sugar, vanilla, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon and nutmeg in a separate bowl. Pour over the bread and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 350º.
- Mix the butter, brown sugar, pecans, and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Sprinkle the butter mixture over the bread and in between the slices.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the middle is set. The casserole will have a bread pudding consistency.
- You can serve this with maple syrup! And coffee!