I’ve been out of control with my Mexican food eating/cooking lately, but hey, what else is new? We love eating enchiladas over here and this homemade sauce totally overtakes any canned sauce! It’s easy and you actually know what ingredients are in it! This sauce is pretty clean so you can have a second helping and I won’t tell.
- 4 Tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cayenne (or more for those of you who like it spicy!)
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbs flour (if you’re going clean, you can sub whole wheat flour)
- 2 1/2 cups water or chicken stock
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
1. Heat the oil in a skillet on medium-low heat. Add the spices and cocoa powder and whisk together, careful not to burn, cooking for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the flour and whisk together. Cook for about 1 minute.
3. While whisking, add the water or stock and tomato sauce.
4. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes.
5. You can season to taste and store in the refrigerator for up to a week or use immediately. You’ll never go back to canned again!